Activities being planned for annual Pinch Reunion in August
The nation’s longest running community reunion returns to Pinch next month. Here is an overview of some of the activities planned so far:
• The Pinch Reunion Concert Series will open from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 11. Musical acts are still being assembled at presstime. The Herbert Hoover High School High Impact Show Choir will operate a concessions area during the performances.
• The Pinch Reunion Annual 5K Race will start at 8 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 12 at Pinch Elementary School on North Pinch Road. The course is a moderate one, with one steep hill. It will begin at the elementary school, continue through Pinch, go through Hidden Valley and conclude at Pinch Elementary.
Separate men’s and women’s categories will be available for the following age groups: 16 and younger, 17-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60 and 60 and older. Each age division winner will receive a medal. The overall women and overall men and overall winner will receive plaques.
The registration fee is $20 prior to Aug. 9 and $25 afterward. Registration can be made online at www.tristateracer.com
• A Pinch Reunion Vendor Sale is planned for 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 12 at Mount Tabor United Methodist Church, 401 Church Road, Pinch.
• The popular Pinch Reunion Baking Contest will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 12, at the Pinch VFW headquarters. Competition categories will include cupcakes and Christmas cookies. The pie contest will include subdivisions: fruit, custard, cream and savory.
The baking contest will have a youth division (ages 5 to 12) and an adult category (13 and older).
The entry fee is $5 per item. A $50 grand champion prize will be awarded in each adult category, and a $25 grand champion prize will be presented in each youth category. Participation ribbons will be given for the second- and third-place bakers in each category.
Winners will be announced at 5 p.m. at the Pinch Wigwam.
• From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 12, Professional Images and the Elkview/Pinch Neighborhood Watch will sponsor a shredding event, in which guests can have printed materials shredded for safe disposal.
• Nashville recording artist SaraBeth is slated to perform from 11 a.m. until noon on Saturday, Aug. 12 at the Wigwam. Afterward, she will greet fans and sign autographs at the Vendor Hall at Mount Tabor UMC.
• The Pinch Reunion Parade will take place from 3 until 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 12. Parade participation is free. Line-up will commence at the New Beginnings Church and Pinch Elementary. Floats will continue through Hidden Valley and loop around; walkers and bands can end at the Pinch Reunion Grounds.
• The Pinch Concert Series will continue with entertainers, to be announced, performing from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 12.
For updates and more information about the 2017 Pinch Reunion, visit the Pinch Reunion WV page on Facebook.