Riverside graduates receive EBHS Alumni scholarships
At the 17th awards ceremony at Riverside High School on May 11, the East Bank High School Alumni Association awarded 25 scholarships in the amount of $4,000 to each graduating recipient.
The 2017 Dana & Ethel Ervin Scholarships were presented by the chair of the Scholarship Committee, Sallie Pat Tackett. Committee members present were Nancy Pat Maloney, Debbie Stanley, Peggy Bunting, Rosalie King, Allen Tackett and Mike Plantz, External Public Affairs Officer for AT&T. Debbie Wright and Kathy Lewis are also members of this committee.
Each senior applicant at Riverside was interviewed by the Scholarship Committee. Consideration was based on academic achievement, community and school involvement, an essay, an interview and a commitment to completing a college degree.
“Our main fundraiser is a golf tournament. It is supported by donations from Amherst-Madison (Charlie Jones), AT&T, BBL Carlton, Bowles Rice LLP, BrickStreet Insurance, Capitol Beverage Company, Central WV Convention & Visitors Bureau, CAMC, Bill Chambers, the Charleston Building Trade Council, City National Bank-Marmet Branch, Dominion Resources Services Inc., CSX, Gino’s, Goodwin & Goodwin LLP, James F. Humphreys, the Kanawha County Commission, the Kanawha Valley Builders Association, Mardi Grad Casino and Resort, Sandra and Randy Mayhew, Keith and Geraldine McClanahan, Natural Resource Partners LP, Pardee Minerals LLC, Pritchard Mining Company (Andrew Jordon), Proud Eagle Inc., Quincy Coal Company (the John L. Dickerson family), the Segal Law Firm, Shonk Land Company, the Tackett Family, the Quincy Walmart, the West Virginia AFL-CIO, and ZMM Architects & Engineers,” said Sallie Pat Tackett.
Winners of the yearly scholarships include:
• Andrea Stover of Winifrede, the daughter of Danny Stover. She plans to attend Marshall University, majoring in Criminal Justice. She also received the Promise Scholarship and graduated with High Honors.
• Allie Nelson of Belle is the daughter Don and Melissa Nelson. She plans to attend West Virginia University Tech, majoring in Health Services Administration.
• Lauren Buchanan of Pratt is the daughter of Chris and Stephanie Buchanan. She plans to attend Marshall University, South Charleston Campus, majoring in Nursing. She also received the Promise Scholarship and was among the WSAZ Best of Class selections and graduated with Highest Honors.
• Jordan Butcher of Chesapeake is the son of Mark and Kay Butcher. He plans to attend Marshall University, majoring in Civil Engineering. Butcher also received the Promise Scholarship and graduated with Honors.
• Bailey White of Belle is the son of Timothy and Paula White. He plans to attend West Virginia University, majoring in Exercise Physiology.
• Kailee Williams of Charleston is the daughter of Melissa Williams. She plans to attend WVU Tech, majoring in Nursing.
• Kacie Shannon of Charleston is the daughter of Richard and Arwanna Shannon. She plans to attend WVU Tech, majoring in Business and Interior Design.
• Kaitlin Chaffin of Belle is the granddaughter of Ann Chaffin. She plans to attend Fairmont State University, majoring in Elementary Education. Chaffin graduated with High Honors.
• Anthony Carfagna of Charleston is the son of Evan and Anita Carfagna. He plans to attend Marshall University, majoring in Chemistry. He also received the Promise Scholarship and graduated with High Honors.
• Damon Andrew Massey of Gallagher is the son of Damon and Janet Massey. He plans to attend West Virginia State University, majoring in Child Psychology.
• Jonathan Miller of Charleston is the son of David and Susan Miller. He plans to attend BridgeValley Community and Technical College, to major in Business and Electrical Engineering.
• Jordan Berry of Hansford is the son of Danny and Amy Berry. He plans to attend West Virginia State, majoring in Environmental/Organismal Biology. He also received the Promise Scholarship.
• Jerryeyanne Jeffries of Charlton Heights is the daughter of Randall and Stacey Jeffries. She plans to attend the University of Charleston and major in Biology/Pre-Med.
• Dominique Reed of Charleston is the son of Mark and Beverly Reed. He plans to attend Marshall, with Pharmacy as his major.
•Brice Pomeroy of Chesapeake is the son of Glendon and Carrie Pomeroy. He plans to attend WVU Tech, majoring in Criminal Justice/Sociology.
• Kelsie Dillard of London is the daughter of Marla Snead and graduated with Honors this spring. She plans to major in History at Marshall.
• Kendall Marshall of Charleston is the daughter of Kenneth and Beth Marshall. She plans to attend UC, majoring in Nursing. She received the Promise Scholarship and graduated with High Honors.
• Savannah Gray is the daughter of Roger and Brandy Gray of Dawes. She plans to attend Marshall and major in Nursing.
• Madison Williams of Belle is the daughter of Frank and Cathy Williams. She intends to to attend BridgeValley, majoring in Nuclear Medicine.
• Alicia Nutter of Hernshaw is the daughter of Charles and Ellie Nutter. She plans to attend West Liberty University and major in Dental Hygiene.
• Haley Stanley is the daughter of Kent and Teresa Stanley and lives in Cedar Grove. She plans to attend Carver Career Center in Malden, majoring in Cosmetology.
• Jacob Steakley of Handley is the son of John and April Steakley. He plans to major in Nursing at Marshall.
• High Honors graduate Kassidy Long of Winifrede, the daughter of Eli and Kristie Long, plans to major in Nursing at Marshall.
• Cloey Curry of Cabin Creek, the daughter of Tracy Curry, will attend Marshall, majoring in Nursing,
• Jennifer Dayhaw of Dawes is the daughter of Adeline Sheets and the late Eric Dayhaw. She plans to major in Human Services and Rehabilitation Service at BridgeValley.
Alternate scholarship recipients include:
• First Alternate Alexa McPhail, the daughter of Angel McPhail, of Chelyan, plans to attend UC and major in Integrated Communication.
• Second Alternate Rebekah Deardorff of Belle is the daughter of Jeff and Lynn Deardorff. She plans to attend Marshall and major in Biology/Chemistry.
• Third Alternate Hannah Curry of Marmet, the daughter of Aaron and Diana Curry, intends to major in Nursing at the Marshall South Charleston campus.
• Fourth alternate Mika Gray is the daughter William and JoAnn Gray of Eskdale. She plans to major in Nursing at Marshall.
• Fifth alternate Julia Curry is the daughter of James and Caria Curry. She plans to major in International Studies at WVU.